You are hereMeetings / Prospectus 2011
The Prospectus 2011 was completed on 12th September 2011
The Challenger Society for Marine Science and the UK Scientific Committee for Oceanic Research (SCOR) held a one day meeting at The Royal Society, Carlton House Terrace, London SW1 on the 12 September 2011.
This initial one-day meeting had a series of talks and discussion with speakers including:
- Dr Neil Mitchell (Geology)
- Dr Andy Rees (Biogeochemistry)
- Dr Alberto N. Garabato (Physical Oceanography)
- Dr Laura Robinson (Paleoceanography)
- Prof Colm O'Cofaigh (Glaciology & Marine Science)
- Dr Matt Mowlem (Techncology)
- Dr Emily Shuckburgh (Climate Modelling & Prediction)
- Dr Abigail McQuatters-Gollop (Biology)
- Dr Tavis Potts (Policy)
Prof John Field, a Past President of SCOR will close the meeting with an international perspective.
We asked each of these young to mid-career scientists to address questions such as:
- What will my area of Marine Science be like in 20 years time?
- What will be the role of UK Marine Science in international science over that period?
- What are the scientific challenges?
- What technological advances are necessary to meet the challenges?
Speakers were asked to reflect on the progress that has been made over the last 20 years to provide both a context and a springboard for their vision of the next two decades. This meeting was part of a broader plan by the Challenger Society to set out, in an open forum by members of the marine science community, new initiatives for marine science strategy and projects over rolling 5-year periods.
View the talks and listen to the speakers
- 0930 Professor Harry Bryden FRS, President of the Challenger Society for Marine Science
- 0940 Dr Alberto Naveira Garabato, University of Southampton:
- 1020 Dr Emily Shuckburgh, British Antarctic Survey and Fellow, Darwin College, University of Cambridge:
- 1120 Professor Colm O'Cofaigh, University of Durham:
- 1200 Dr Laura Robinson, University of Bristol:
- The future of paleoceanography: connecting past and present. PDF
- 1400 Dr Neil Mitchell, University of Manchester:
- 1440 Dr Abigail McQuatters-Gollop, Sir Alister Hardy Foundation for Ocean Science:
- 1520 Dr Andrew Rees, Plymouth Marine Laboratory:
- 1620 Dr Matt Mowlem, National Oceanography Centre:
- Technology: inspiring and enabling new capabilities for marine science. MP3
- 1700 Dr Tavis Potts, Scottish Association for Marine Science:
- 1740 Professor John Field, Marine Research Institute, Rondebosch, South Africa:
All abstracts from the meeting are available here.
Questions about the meeting can be addressed to members of the organising committee:
Prof. Harry Bryden FRS (H.Bryden@noc.soton.ac.uk)
Dr. Carol Robinson (Carol.Robinson@uea.ac.uk)
Prof. Gwyn Griffiths (firstname.lastname@example.org)
|Prospectus_2011 Abstracts||4.76 MB|