The Challenger Medal
The award is for a distinguished UK marine scientist or other person who has made a single major contribution, or a sustained contribution, to the development of marine science, or whose innovation has opened up new perspectives.
The Challenger Medal is the premier award of the Society. The award is for a distinguished UK marine scientist or other person who has made a single major contribution, or a sustained contribution, to the development of marine science, or whose innovation has opened up new perspectives. The medal is presented on the occasion of the Challenger Lecture by the recipient during the Challenger Society biennial meeting.
1.Should be by letter explaining the reasons for nomination, quoting, where appropriate, relevant reference to scientific publications or other contributions. Nominations should be submitted by 1st April 2021 (awarded at 2021 Challenger Conference at SAMS, Oban, September 2021).
2. A short curriculum vitae of the nominee is required.
3. The nomination should be submitted by a single proposer with support by one or preferably two others.
4. Nominations should be submitted to the President of The Society (email@example.com) (from whom advice may also be sought) or to the Honorary Secretary (firstname.lastname@example.org) by April 1st 2021.
5. Nominations and applications will be considered by the Council of the Challenger Society.
6. The recipient need not be a member of the Challenger Society.
7. Current Council members of the Society are ineligible for any award or prize.
News items from the NOC Association and the Marine Facilities Advisory Board
The details of the membership of the Decade Working Group (DWG), that was announced at the May 2021 AGM of the NOC Association, are now available:
NOC Association of Marine Science National Capability Beneficiaries | National Oceanography Centre
The March 2021 minutes of the Marine Facilities Advisory Board are available here: Marine_Facilities_Advisory Board_March_2021_minutes.pdf (noc.ac.uk)
Are your institution’s details up to date on the The UK Marine Science and Technology Compendium? If not, please let the Secretary know.
Secretary to the NOCA and MFAB: Jackie Pearson, email@example.com National Oceanography Centre
Report on Impacts of Covid-19
Summary Report on the Impacts of Covid-19 available from the NOCA AGM
Cancellation of 2020/21 Challenger Conference
Sadly, the postponed 2020 Challenger Conference to be hosted at SAMs from 6th September 2021 has also been cancelled.